Sunday, October 5, 2014

Over due for a post

 I keep seeing these unreal looking berries here in Virginia-- does anyone know what they are? We have been here in Newport News for almost a week. Last Tuesday we had a quick visit with our friend, Susannah, who is a student at College of William & Mary in Williamsburg. 
 She took a bit of time from her busy sophomore schedule to show us around campus and advise us on our visit to Colonial Williamsburg. 
 I was not sure what to expect at Williamsburg, everyone had just said it was great and we should go... The historic town is a combination of a few original buildings and many reproduced buildings. Tour guides are generally in period costume. In the afternoon there was a reading of the Declaration of Independance. Then we time traveled a few years to 1781 when the citizens of Williamsburg were called upon to help with the battle of York. 
The marching and speeches go on in the midst of many tourists and a few planted actors/townspeople. 
 They recruited a few guests to the marching ranks. After drills and marching they demonstrated the cannon and musket firing. 
It was fun and interesting. Hopefully we will go back to see some of the things we missed. 
We are staying at a city/county park in Newport News. 
We took the camper off of the truck for ease of driving in the area. And since we had the camper off we decided to take the opportunity for Dan to have a little surgery done. He needed a few days to recouporate and I was able to drive as needed. 
 He is feeling good and chomping at the bit to get going again. Meanwhile...
 I took advantage of the nice bike path here at the campground. It is just over 5 miles and goes by the site of General Washington's headquarters. 
 Not much there to see, but I will say again I love these eastern woods!
 I have also been quilting quite a bit. I have 100 of the string blocks made and today I stitched 150 of these blue and neutral half square triangles (HSTs). I know 150 sounds like a lot, but I probably need over 600 more!

This weekend there is a big fall festival in the day use part of the park. They have a shuttle between the campground and the festival. 
 We went over and enjoyed some western Virginian bluegrass. 
The stage is at the edge of a pleasant lake. 
 Our camp is just through the trees on the other side of the lake.
Fabric seems to be my souvenir of choice. 
 I bought these fabrics in Williamsburg. They are reproductions of colonial fabrics. Many of the costumed actors had garments on that were made with these fabrics. I also bought a tatting kit. My grandmother did a little tatting. I have a vague memory of her showing me quickly her shuttle and how to tat. Then she popped it in a drawer and I never saw it again. I have always wanted to learn how. The shop lady in Williamsburg suggested YouTube if I have trouble. I made an attempt on my own and it didn't make much sense to me. 
 Today at the fall festival I met Lena. She is a Russian immigrant, who recently joined a quilt guild that had a booth in the heritage area. She had a large display of her tatting projects and was demonstrating the art. She gave me a very helpful lesson. 
 Here is my first bit of practice. Lena was a very good teacher. I think I have the gist of it; it will take plenty of practice to get it down. 
What did you learn today?
Late addition: 
 I kept working and made quite a bit of progress. jb

No comments:

Post a Comment