Thursday, September 18, 2014

Connecticut Night (plus a bit)

Housatanic River near our campsite at Housatanic Meadows State Park campground in Connnecticut. 
After our drive through the Berkshires we came to this nice spot for a night in Connecticut. 
Old stone walls among the camp sights. 
We got parked early enough for me to get my sewing out. 
Here are what I am working on. They are 4.5" string blocks, all "neutrals". I will use them with other yet-to-be-determined blocks to make quilt.  I make 10 blocks at a sitting, yesterday was my third so I have 30 finished. It will take over 150 for a full quilt. 20%complete :-)
I like to listen to the radio when I quilt, usually NPR , sometimes I have to settle on something else. Yesterday I listened to a commercial station out of Danbury CT. As they gave the commuter traffic report they mentioned "Newtown".  I checked the map and we were not many miles from the sadly famous Sandyhook school. In all likelihood many of those child victims once played in this park.  For some reason that makes the event more "real" in my mind. The town of Weed CA has been a regular refueling spot on our trips to California, the tragic fire there saddens me more than a event in a place I have no knowledge of. Conclusion:
Traveling swells the heart.

This is not much of a photo-but those are turkeys! There were 18 wandering around a group of tents across the campground this morning. 
Tonight we are in a county park in New Jersey. I was surprised at the bear pictures and warnings when we registered. Apparently there are plenty of bears in this part of New Jersey. 
 This is a little stick bug I spotted on the side of the restroom building. 
Cost to camp sure baffles us. It is interesting how wide the prices vary. We stayed 6 nights in Acadia at $10 a night (Dan gets the senior discount), 2 nights in private parks in Maine were each $30 that included electricity and showers and those are "off-season" prices. For the last three nights we have been in state or county parks in MA, CT & NJ - the price has been $14, $30, & $16 respectively. In Massachusetts and Connecticut the facilities were essentially the same. No electricity but hot showers and flush toilets. Here in New Jersey for $16 (Dan got a $4 veteran discount) we have water and electric and hot showers. New York had the most complicated system- a base price for the sight plus about 3 surcharges on top no showers but they were flush johns. Always a variety, in our 163 nights so far this year our average cost is still under $12. 

We just went for another woodsy walk. I will close with a couple of those photos. 
I will title this one "Perceverance". Here is another of Perceverance -
We even met a little friend-
 
The joys of the road less traveled. jb


No comments:

Post a Comment