Thursday, September 18, 2014

Massachusetts Meander

We have been taking a slow and wandering path through New England, but if we stopped so I could take a picture of every beautiful white church, we would still be here when the snow falls. This is a United Methodist church in Townsend, MA. 
We left the Maine coast on a rainy morning and gave New Hampshire a fairly quick drive through. 
We passed through Concord, so we gave the capital a look. 
We seem to be staying one night in each "travel" state. Our night in MA was in a quiet woodsy park called Pearl Hill. I wonder if someone found a pearl there...
I really enjoy these old woods they feel "soft" in some way. I see how Thoreau, Frost, Hawthorne, etc were inspired by their world. 
How do you like this lichen?

I have been on a quest for a good still pond picture. I have a collection but none I am really pleased with. Here are couple:
I suppose if the trees were further in their color change it might help. I will keep trying. 


One of the joys of our journey is coming across "neat" things that you didn't even know exist. In Shelburne Falls there is a Bridge of Flowers- it is an abandoned trolley bridge that started growing trees and weeds. A number of years ago citizens started planting flowers. Now it is absolutely beautiful all volunteer and donations. 
While on the bridge you forget you are over water. 
This is the view from the parallel car bridge. 
And vice versa. 
We traveled east across the north edge of Massachusetts then turned south. We passed through the famous Berkshire area. There are all kinds of famous places we did not stop and see. We did enjoy just seeing the variety of buildings and landscape. 
One more pond for the road. 
jb

No comments:

Post a Comment