Monday, September 15, 2014

Mainely Acadia

A view from top of Mt Cadilac, the tallest mountain on the eastern seaboard north of somewhere in South America. 
Our time in Acadia NP on Mt Desert Island (MDI for short) was spent in a little bit of many different experiences. The only activty I had too much of was driving/riding around the island getting from one something to another. 
We ate well...
Dan's lobster. 
My pork chop. 
Farmer's market in South Harbor. We got some veggies, fresh bread, sweet cider and a bag of Paula's Red apples plus an apple scone & two chocolate peanut butter cookies. 
We went sea kayaking one afternoon. It was fun to go out on the water, we crossed a small strait and went around the end to a beach on Bartlett Isle. Bartlett is a private island owned by David Roosevelt. I don't have any pictures for this blog of the kayak trip because I left my phone behind. 
These wonderful wood walkways are on several park trails. They are solid and old, although I couldn't find a park employee who knew just how old. This path was around Jordan Pond which leads back to Jordan Pond House. JPH is famous for popovers and tea. 
We hiked a bit up and down the side of Mt Dorr. 
I love the rustic granite steps.
We road our bikes on the carriage trails that are open to horses, bicycles and walkers. Our route was around Eagle Lake. 
There is a network of these carriage roads separate from the busses and cars. One of the Roosevelts designed them and paid for their construction. The bridges are especially beautiful. 
A couple times we settled on the rocks above the ocean to read and sew. 
Stitching with a view:-)
This is the Bass Harbor Lighthouse, the only one on MDI. Here is another view:
Our kayak guide told us the best lobster was to be found at Thurston's Lobster Pound in Bernard. 
Here are a batch of "chicks" waiting to be weighed & boiled. At first I was trying to figure out why the lobster places were called "pounds". I thought maybe it was like dog pounds where dogs are kept after they are caught and lobsters are in lobster pounds where they go after they are caught. Ahh No, no quite. Lobster pounds are where the lobsters are sold by the pound and there are different size groups. At Thuston's they are called "chicks" for the little guys up to about 1.39lbs; the "halves" are 1.4lbs to 1.79lbs and the "selects" are over 1.8lbs. Then the lobsters are further broken down between soft shell and hard shell. The price per pound goes up for the larger lobsters. It was all kind of complicated so I just tried a lobster roll. 
It was a pile of cooled lobster meat on a toasted bun with lettuce. I confess I added a bit of mayo to make it suit my taste. Here are a couple more sights in Bernard. 
Our weather was on the cool side so I only got my feet wet at Sand Beach
Rustic sign posts in a couple styles. 
So dear reader if you have percivered in reading this blog post as my topics have wandered every which way, you will have a sense of our time in Acadia. Disorganized and varied...We wandered this way and that; I am not sure how better to describe it. 

So I wonder as I wander could life be any better? 





No comments:

Post a Comment