Friday, August 29, 2014

A Blissful Day of Quilting

I made these Cathedral Star blocks in June at a quilting workshop in Portland with Bonnie Hunter. Then a couple weeks later we left in the camper for this journey we are on. In between I have made blocks for another quilt. I grab an hour here and there when I can spread out my sewing and get some work done. Before we left I had cut all of the triangles to finish this quilt, plus bagged up plenty of 2" strips of neutrals and colors. I stitched all of the triangles, the star points and half square triangles last week. Today I almost finished the 300 4-patches. Only the final seam on 100 are left. Here are some pictures of the camper turned quilting studio.
Sewing machine & cutting mat on dining table. 
Pressing station on kitchen counter. 
Supplies on step below bed- you can see Dan hanging out in front of the camper because there was no room for him inside. 
These are stacked and pinned in sets of 10, so I can keep track of how many I have made. 
When I finish these last few 4-patches I will start turning these 3" squares into 9" quilt blocks. I will wait until I am home to assemble the whole quilt. If you want to see what the finished quilt will be do an image search for Cathedral Star. It is a free pattern created by Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville.com
We are in the small town of Au Gres, Michigan. We are in a city campground which has really filled up for the holiday weekend. There does not seem to be much to the town. It is on the shore of Lake Huron on the lower peninsula at the top of Saginaw Bay- the bay that creates the "thumb" of Michigan. We bought some fresh beans, corn, and tomatoes at a farmer's market today. Dan washed the truck and camper. 
At the grocery we found the same flavor of ice cream that we enjoyed out on Mackinac Island. Vanilla with butter fudge swirls and chocolate fudge chunks. Good stuff!
I hope you have a great holiday weekend. 
jb

1 comment:

  1. I'm here from your Quiltville post. I love how inventive you are with your quilting studio. :D You're quilt is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete