Saturday, August 9, 2014

A Thready News Report

Here I am sewing on my featherweight on some quilt squares with a great view in front of me. This is our third and final night at America's first Nat'l Monument. I will follow with some more scenic photos, but first a few of my "Thready" work. Today I completed the squares I started sewing when we left home in June. The camper bed is not much of a design wall, but it is best I can do. 
When we left home I had lots of strip sets sewn together and a few triangles cut. Now they are 12" squares ready to go together when I get home. I have a couple more quilts "kitted-up" and ready to sew. I will work on Cathedral Stars when I get my next opportunity to take out the machine.  
The other sewing project I have on going is my half inch Christmas hexagons. 
Here is my quilt blogging idol Bonnie Hunter (of Quiltville.com) admiring my work in progress in early June. Since then I have been working on corners and edges. Hoping to find a stopping point eventually. 
Here is one of the four corners; all four are complete & waiting to go on the "mother ship". 
These two photos are of partially done edge with design notes. This is a "design build" project. Making it up as I go has worked so far. There was just one time I got a section made, didn't like it and had to back up and redo. I have not designed the top and bottom edges yet. I have over 400 hexagons to make before I need to worry about that next step. Here is one more quilt view before moving on to Devil's Tower photos. 
This has been an interesting time to be here because several thousand bikers have come and gone while we have been here. Apparently, "Devil's Tower Run" is one of the popular Sturgis Rally activities. 
This was in nearby Hulett where I visited a nice quilt shop. 
We have hiked two circles around the tower. So we saw it from many angles. Here are a few:
Magic Smoke Circle sculpture at picnic area. 
A view over prairie dog town. 
Here is one of the locals watching the wild life pass by. 
"Hey there, have a great day!"
Tomorrow we head for the Black Hills of South Dakota. We will start at Jewel Cave.   
It looks like we may be in for a thunder storm, batten down the hatches!
jb






No comments:

Post a Comment