Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Catching up

Yellowstone River view...
I couldn't begin to tell all about Yellowstone, but most folks have either been there or heard all about it anyway. We managed to camp there 3 nights; one night at Lewis Lake and two at Norris CG. No reservations, just get there early and make friends with folks heading out. 
We exited the park through the east route towards Cody. A very nice drive and we found a place to stay along the N Fork of the Shoshone River. 
Here is where I sat and worked on my hexagon quilt for about 3 hours Sunday afternoon. It was wonderful to relax by a river and sew. Two afternoons in Yellowstone I spent a good bit of time sewing on my machine. A future post will include pictures of my progress.
We spent several hours in Cody doing boring things like checking emails, grocery shopping, picking up prescriptions and getting a haircut (for me). 
The World's Biggest Mineral Hot Spring
Yep and what a deal! 
For free you get to soak for 20 minutes in this wonderful 104 degree water. This is Hot Spring State Park in Thermopolis, WY. After two hours you are welcome to come back and soak some more. Adjacent to the bath house where we went are pools with slides etc for the high energy crowd. Here are a couple more pictures from the park area. 

We came and enjoyed the water Monday afternoon then drove south through Wind River Canyon. A beautiful and fascinating drive. I am not sure my photo shows the illusion, but the uplift of the rock walls of the canyon make it look like you are driving down stream when you are going up. 
We camped just above an old dam site, then drove back to Thermopolis for another soak. 
Our next planned destination is the national monument at the Battleground of the Little Bighorn. 

There is lots of wide open spaces in Wyoming. Statistically it is the least densely populated state. Especially near Jackson and east of Cody there are many grand "McMansions". I find my self wondering about the draw of living so far from others. Why do the wealthy seem to want to be so far from their neighbors?
jb



No comments:

Post a Comment