Wednesday, August 20, 2014

My Other Nebraska Story

One of the pleasant routines of our life in a camper is morning coffee for me and tea for Dan. Almost always Dan is up first and he soon delivers a fresh pressed cup of coffee to me. All I drink is that one cup but I do really like that one cup. The morning we were in central Nebraska, at the Bessey campground, the glass part of my press broke. Uh oh... So began the challenge of finding a new press or a new way to make coffee. The first town we came to was Alliance, just south of the Carhenge. 
 The town had a cute downtown with a nice hardware store. We went there first. I prefer to support local businesses--the only press they had was really big. It's volume was over a liter, I bought it anyway. We continued to look in the only other local possibilities--Kmart & Shopko. They had the same size I had already bought but at a higher price. 
For the next couple days we made my coffee in the new big press, both a waste of space and a waste of coffee. When we got to Grand Island I did some more shopping. We checked several department stores as well as Bed Bath Beyond and Starbucks. All the stores had large presses, but nobody had a nice small just right size one. So our travels took us on to Lincoln, the big press worked but was not convenient. In Lincoln there are lots of retail options. We decided to give press shopping another shot and we were successful. 
Left one too big, middle broken, right- just right. 
I know this is an odd little side post. I think I am writing it because having to shop in unfamiliar places for a necessity as opposed to a souvenir is, at least for me, not much fun. 
This morning looks kind of stormy here in Iowa- I think we will be in Minnisota by nightfall. 
See you up the road. 
PS--we were pleased to find a Trader Joe's in Lincoln-I see chocolate croissants in my future. 
;-)

2 comments: